Color spectrum question

Hi guys.  Well, I think I'm getting closer to taking the plunge ;)

My current vision is to have an open top tank full of aquatic plants.  I also
want to incorporate my other hobby--orchids.  I would want to place orchids
either at the base of the tank or along the top perimeter, depending on light
requirements.  I have a bunch of orchids now and they really thrive outdoors in
NY during the Summer, but they are starting to fade since I've brought them
indoors.  So I would like to buy a light fixture soon to give them some life.

I originally wanted to go with Metal Halide as I love the color and wave
effect.  I proposed my idea to the orchid folks on the newsgroups and have been
told that a combination of Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium would be ideal
for the growth and flowering of plants.  Apparently the increased light output
in the red spectrum is essential.

My question is if this is counterproductive to aquatic plants.  Will I promote
growth of algae or some other negative effect associated with HPS?

I was doing research into buying an affordable light fixture since it seems
that the aquarium specific ones are priced on the high side.  I was thinking of
a "combo" system that incorporates one 250W MH bulb and one 250W HPS bulb:

http://www.discountgrowlights.com/systemsh.htm

I would also have to hang the fixture a little higher than most people with a
fishtank only setup.  I was thinking 3 feet or so.  I know some might say that
I will lose a lot of light, but I was only planning on getting a 20 gal or so
to get my feet wet.  I would also probably do the DIY CO2 for now as well so I
don't blow my budget.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Chester