Re: Is no filter an option?

> Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:10:25 -0600
> From: Stephen Boulet <stepheb at comm_mot.com>
> Subject: Is no filter an option?
>
> I was wondering if it were an option to remove all of my filters on my
> heavily planted, moderately stocked (with fish) 55 gallon?

Well, do you measure a buildup of nitrates?  If you don't (like many
of us who need to add nitrates), then you know the plants are currently able to
consume all the nitrogen (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) produced.

And I wonder whether the plants only consume nitrogen during part of the
day.  If that is the case, then there might be some trouble during the
time that the plants aren't using it.

I'd be sure to have some kind of mechanical filtration, to remove physical
debris before it decomposes and creates more nitrogen.  Plants can't remove
the solid debris.