Re: Unusual aquatic catepillars

Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 09:53:41 -0700
Marshall Wilkinson asked about Unusual aquatic catepillars

Marshall, there is an aquatic catipillar here in Australia and I think
there are members of the same genus in Canada, called a chinagraph moth,
Nymphula sp?, the catipillars are light green with fleshy bits sticking out
all over them.   They cut up pieces of leaf and form a shelter around
themselves.   They eat many different species of aquarium plant.   The
adult moth is a small creamy coloured moth with squiggly marks over the
wings.   I grow aquarium plants in ponds here and they trash my plants at
certain times of the year.   Neguvon at half a part per million will kill
them but will also kill all your shrimps.

Dave Wilson
Darwin, NT