Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 09:53:41 -0700
From: Marshall Wilkinson <wilkinso at acs_ucalgary.ca>
Subject: Re: Unusual aquatic catepillars(?)

Hi people:

I have finally re-setup my 50gal aquarium...
Recently I began to notice alot of leaf litter floating on the surface and
in the uptake of my filter... Coincident with this was a marked slowing of
growth...
At first I thought it was the snails going on a rampage since the fish
population was quite plant friendly. Then I noticed a little worm encased in
some leaf litter inching it's way along the front glass... The beast had
fashioned 3-4 detached leaves around itself and dragged it's camoflage
around with him...Can we identify them? Ive kept a couple in a small
tupperware container to see if they metamorphose into something.
These catepillars are quite destructive.
Any thoughts on this?

Marshall Wilkinson
Calgary Alberta