re: purifying a container for RO water.

When I have to clean a container that is for water or holding fish, etc, I
use some prepared Sea Salt as the cleanser. I usually just pour in some
Instant Ocean, wet it enough to cake it up, and use an abrasive pad (plastic
type) and scrub the inside of the container with the clumpy salt. The salt is
abrasive enough to do a good job cleaning and there are no worries about soap
or residues. Just make sure all the salt is rinsed out after you are
finished. I usually do this after I purchase a container to use with my
tanks. If you cannot get the odor out, I would err of the side of caution and
not use the container. I use a Rubbermaid Big Brute for my RO reservoir. I
have had no problems.
Regards,
Dave