Re: Shoestring budget plant tank

Darin Simmons asked:

> Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:36:09 -0800
> From: Darin Simmons <nflinla at home_com>
> Subject: Shoestring budget plant tank
>
> I've been lurking for quite awhile and was dabbling in plants.  I decided
> to put what little money I had into a setup that I hope will be healthy
and
> look good.  I was hoping that everyone could critique/enhance/and
otherwise
> find as many problems with my plans as possible.  I have most of the
> hardware already and would like to hear suggestions for improvement.

I have a 75 gallon tank with similar lighting.  I've had no problem growing
any of the plants you mention except the Hydrocotyle and the Rotala macranda
(never tried either).  I wouldn't worry too much about it, just plant the
tank and see how it all works out.

You do seem to have several "bunch plants" in the midground.  That's ok,
except that you'll have to remember that rotala rotundifolia and the cabomba
will grow like weeds and you'll have to trim them regularly... both require
some care to keep from looking like you've chopped them with hedge trimmers.
It depends how much work you want to put into it.  If you want a background
plant that doesn't require so much care, you might want to think about the
vallisneria spiralis or crypt retrospiralis...

$100 seems awfully pricy.  Try www.azgardens.com.