Growing Java Moss

Has anyone grown java moss in like a bowl? I tried one time growing it in a
250ml jar, but it ended up turning really light brown, i assume it rotted,
it was during the summer so it may have been the heat from the sun, now that
its winter, i might try it again using a soda bottle (more water) with some
nitrate addition, anyone know if this might work? If so, about how fast
would java moss grow anyhow using the 2L bottle and sunlight as lighting,
with 2-5ppm of nitrate? I'm thinking about taking clean water and adding 1"
of 2 strands java moss and see if it grows.

- Matt