test kits

Folks,

I found a relatively inexpensive nitrate test kit made by Aquarium Systems
and marketed for reef tanks.  It measures nitrate nitrogen up to 1 mg/l
(4.4 mg/l nitrate) and higher with dilutions.  The kit claims to be
calibrated for use in salt water, but I've never read of anything that
would cause nitrate to read differently in salt water than in fresh water.

Does anyone know of specific problems with using "salt water" nitrate kits
on fresh water tanks?

Roger Miller