Re: Nutrients

> From: "Dixon, Steven T. (BEn)" <stdixon at ben_bechtel.com>
> Subject: Nutrients
>
> When we get together out here one of our recurring themes is the possibility
> that the Sears/Conklin conclusion should be reformulated as follows:  We
> reduce algae not by limiting P, but by assuring that N does not become the
> limiting factor.  And we often note that some systems appear to benefit from
> the addition of small amounts of P every few days.

I don't mine reformulation of our ideas, but please don't change Kevin
Conlin's name!

The way I look at it now is that one is indeed trying to make phosphate the
limiting nutrient, but that one can expect to add phosphate once one has
the algae under control.  The plants do need phosphate, and I add KH2PO4
or K2HPO4 in about 50-100 mg batches to my 160 L tank.  I agree that it is
essential that the tank does not run out of the other nutrients when one
does this.

One of the ideas that neither Kevin nor I has actually tried yet is to
use bone in some form in the substrate.  That should supply phosphate
to the roots and keep it away from the algae.

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada