Re: Garden Soil

I've used many types of soil without heating it.
Some people let it set under water before putting it in the tank but I don't think this
is necessary either.
Potting soil is better than garden soil if you have hard water because it is acidic.

Get a hold of Diana Walstad's book; Ecology of the Planted Aquarium
http://www.users.qwest.net/~laren/

Also for more information about using soils in aquariums check out;
:http://home.infinet.net/teban/

Larry