Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #627

> With all this talk about the effectiveness of UV sterilizers, I am
> beginning to wonder if the one I got---a 10 watt, 14 inch Coralife---is
> defective.  I can run it on a green water 55 gallon tank for a week, and
> the water gets barely clear enough to see through the length of the tank.
> The residual cloudniss persists indefinitely while I am running the
> sterilizer.  What is this cloudiness?  Is it killed algae suspended in the
> water?  I don't think it is killed algae, because when I remove the
> sterilizer, the cloudiness increases and the water gets green again, with
> no delay.

Add a magnum with a pleated micro cartiage to the set up or a 9 3/4" pleated
canister unit from a hardware store etc. This by itself is effective as
well. Your bulb may be old and ineffective/too much flow through the unit
(but I doubt that is the case unless your putting over 250-300Gal/hr).

The new tetra 5 watt model was super for a 50 gallon tank at about 150GPH
and nothing else added(no micron cartiage).
Regards,
Tom Barr