silicone cement temperature limits

Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca> wrote:

Does anyone know the temperature at which silicone cement begins to
break down? Could we use an autoclave to kill ostracod eggs in
aquariums?

I reply:

I am not sure about regular silicone but there is a high temperature
silicone that is probably your best bet. It is used by the heating and
cooling trade to seal joints in gas radiant heaters or in metal flues. I
guess it must be good for something like 500 degrees F. Regular silicone
will take a pretty high temperature too but I assume it must be less than
the high temperature stuff or they wouldn't bother to make a different type.
The high temperature silicone I have seen is always red.

Wayne