UV Sterilizer

Laurel wrote:  "Thank you all for responding to my green water posts.  I
have one more question, several of you have mentioned the use of UV
sterilizers.  I had read that these sterilizers will oxidize the trace
elements in the water column making them un-usable by the higher plants.  Is
there any truth to this?"
I don't know the answer to the question but I think the key point is that
this only takes a couple or three days to work perfectly.  I did a water
change without adding the usual nutrients before hooking up the diatom
filter/UV sterilizer; then after the tank came sparkling clear, I removed
the equipment and added the usual compliment of nutrients.  No problema.

Regards, Steve Dixon in San Francisco