Re: food for thought

> Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:54:28 -0700 (PDT)
> From: J Miller <ruddigar_99 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Re: food for thought
>
>   I have recently started harvesting duckweed for my salads.  I used to
> feed it to my africans, but I no linger have them and grow enough (not
> on purpose, of course) for three or four good hand fulls every other
> week.  They don't taste too bad either.

Until recent weeks, I might have enjoyed this post and maybe even tried it.
I also have Wolffia, which is supposed to be quite tasty (used like sprouts
on a sandwich).

Starting in early August, I had an outbreak of "Fishkeeper's Finger" (aka
Fish Tuberculosis or *Mycobacterium marinum* or "Swimmers Granulomum") on my
middle right finger. It took the third Dr. and the right regimen to even
start the cure. After more than two months, I still have a raw open wound on
my finger, and swollen lymph nodes on my arm. I'll be pleased if they can
cure it in another 4-5 months.

It is contageous and can enter through any break in the skin. I certainly
would not want it on my lip or gums. My tanks are algae covered to the point
I can't see some of my fish, but I have tried not to spread it by keeping
that hand out of the water. [I have some gloves and finger cots now, so that
excuse should evaporate. ;-)] Resistant to most common antibiotics, it is as
hard to cure as regular human tuberculosis.

Fish Tuberculosis is ubiquitous in fish tanks, like Velvet and Ich. It's
just looking for a suitable host, as most fish can carry it with little or
no symptoms. Please remember that, when you are tempted to use your mouth to
start a siphon, or put a slightly-cut hand in the water.

I would really think twice before eating fish-tank-raised duckweed or
Wolffia -- now.

Wright

--

    "The state represents violence in a