Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #618

L. Merrell" <merrell at u_washington.edu>
> Subject: green water
>
> I'm having my first outbreak with green water and am looking for some
> advice on clearing this plague.  It started about a week ago when I
> believe my CO2 cut out (DIY yeast method), I didn't notice at first and
> kept fertilizing and using Flourish.  If my understanding is correct, my
> CO2/nutrient ratio became unbalanced allowing for the alagal bloom.  I
> have a population of SAE's and otos so the green water was the only
> species capable of taking over the tank.
>
> I have done ~50% water changes every other day, reduced the number of
> hours the tank is lit, stopped feeding and even tried a flocculant.  None
> of these measures have made a noticable impact on the green water.
>
> What else can I try? Is this a self-limiting problem? Once correcting the
> nutrient/CO2 imbalance should the higher plants outcompete the alage?
>
> Thanks, Laurel M.

Check archives. They have tons on this one. The easiest way is what is your
own preference. I use a magnum HOT 250 with a micron filter element and just
filter it out. Adding a UV sterilizer(8 watt Aquanetics) to this furthers
this process along faster. It takes about one day to clear and couple more
to completely rid the tank. Blackout, Daphnia, lower and/or redder light
levels, increasing NO3's, and several other methods are out there.
It's the easiest form of algae to deal with for planted tanks. Many ways to
kill/get rid of it. Many times after clearing it never comes back again. You
likely can go back to the old routine but keep up on things.
Regards,
Tom Barr