green water

My new tank (20 gallon L, 3 months) has just been through a green water
outbreak.  Maybe I was lucky, but I put a second power filter on it, filled
with polyester floss (per what someone in the archives said worked for
them), and put phosphate absorbing material in that filter (because I
rather thought overfeeding contributed to it, I'm doing better at that
finally).  Did 30% water changes every couple of days instead of once a
week.  It cleared up within a week of doing these things.

Ellen O'Connell
mailto:oconnell_wadeash at ix_netcom.com