Re: Brown Algae! Please Help!

Otocinclus like diatoms. That is what the brown algae is. So get a crew of
them in there, and put 'em to work.

Also, it usually appears immediately, I believe from my experience, from
sediments in the water from adding the gravel. (Silica, if it's natural river
gravel).  Water changes, water changes, cleaning and months down the line it
was still there. I believe there was way too much of the silicate in the
water to be reduced by water changes. I added a phosphate/silicate remover to
my filter media and it vanished for good. (Without the benefit of the otos).
I think I used Kent phosphate sponge. There are a number of products out
there. Once phosphates are removed, these products will remove silicates.

Sylvia