RE: Red Tiger Lotus bulbs

> Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 09:56:27 EDT
> From: Dgrim62 at cs_com
>
> I was scoping out my 125 gallon last night and noticed next to my two Red
> Tiger Lotus plants-Nymphaea lotus v. "Red" (Tepoot) there are 6 small
bulbs
> sitting on the substrate, slightly larger than a pea and sprouting leaves.
> am sure these are from the lotus, as there are no other plants near that
> would produce bulbs. These lotus in my tank are about 18 months old. I
didn't
> even know this was happening, as some personal things have kept me away
for
> all but maintenance on my tanks until lately. Does anyone know how the
bulbs
> come from the parent plant? I'd appreciate any insight.

In our experience, Nymphaea are truly weeds. We had one in a 100g tank for
awhile. During an extensive pruning session, we noticed that the thing had
sent runners all over the tank. The runners had many nodes scattered along
them - these may be the bulbs you are seeing. Or perhaps some seeds have
germinated.

George Booth in Ft.Collins, CO  (booth at frii_com)
The website for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/