Red Tiger Lotus bulbs

Hi all,
I was scoping out my 125 gallon last night and noticed next to my two Red
Tiger Lotus plants-Nymphaea lotus v. "Red" (Tepoot) there are 6 small bulbs
sitting on the substrate, slightly larger than a pea and sprouting leaves. I
am sure these are from the lotus, as there are no other plants near that
would produce bulbs. These lotus in my tank are about 18 months old. I didn't
even know this was happening, as some personal things have kept me away for
all but maintenance on my tanks until lately. Does anyone know how the bulbs
come from the parent plant? I'd appreciate any insight.
Dave