Not Enough Algae, Otos Eating Plants...

Hi All,

I have what may be a "new tank" problem. I have a 75G tank which has been
planted for about a month. It is heavily planted with added CO2. Growth is
very good. Many plants have doubled or trippled in size. After a couple of
weeks I bought my first 4 fish, some Otocinclus. These are very active and
enjoyable little fellows. I bought them because of what I thought was
development of red/brown algae and also because I thought that it was time
to start priming the bacterial population.

Everything is fine except that I really do not have much algae yet and I
think that the Oto's are beginning to do a bit of leaf stripping on the
tender, pale new leaves. Should I start doing some feeding of algae wafers
or some flake food. I am starting to get itchy to add some other fish to
the tank anyway...

I know that some amount of algae is bound to come and go but in the mean
time how do I keep these little fellows full and my new growth safe?

Thanks a lot,

Paul

           Paul Mouritsen.....mourip @ erols . com

                           Washington, DC

     If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans...

*