Re: lights

> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:50:30 -0400
> From: "Wayne Jones" <waj at mnsi_net>
>
> Why is it then that every time I see a really stunning planted tank
picture
> the tank is usually lit with some sort of wide spectrum lamps. I see very
> knowledgable people using things like Tritons or Tritons mixed with cool
> whites or P and A lamps mixed with cool whites, Chroma 50s or T8 950s and
> 965s or MH lamps. There must be some reason that they chose those lamps.
> Some of those lamps really cost a lot of money too. I don't think I have
> seen any really nice tanks that use lamps with a true triphosphor
spectrum.
> I would really like to continue to use 850 lamps as they cost such a small
> amount of money but when I addded in some 950 lamps things really actually
> improved. I suppose it could have been a coincidence but who uses true
> triphosphor lamps with great success.

I use triphosphor bulbs and I think I have great success. Aren't these
usually considered "wide spectrum"? The third phosphor is there to emit a
strong green component. All the photos on our web site were taken with just
the tank lighting (no flash) and daylight film. I think the color rendition
is very good.

I'm confused by your posting. Tritons are tri-phosphor bulbs. "Tri"-ton.
Peen Plax Ultra Tri-Lux are tri-phosphor bulbs.

George Booth in Ft.Collins, CO  (booth at frii_com)
The website for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/