Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #590

In a message dated 10/6/00 2:04:28 AM Mountain Daylight Time,

> But pumice is pretty low in specific gravity -
>  it moves around a lot and might take a while to become fully waterlogged.

The specific gravity of the rock that pumice is made of is as high as any
other typical igneous rock.  It is full of air, though, and that's what makes
it float.  The pockets of air are interlinked enough that water gets in
fairly easily.  I cover my PMAS with 1/2 -1 inch of regular gravel, then fill
the tank slowly.  A little of it escapes and comes to the top.  It will sink
in a matter of days.

Bob Dixon