Heaters

Do I really have to use a heater for a planted tank? I know most of you
don't. I have a 55 and a 37 gal. Both with 150 watt heaters. I live in San
Antonio, and it gets hot here. Highest temp in my house is 77, lowest is
73(at night). Right now (noon central) the temp in my 37 is 78 with no heater
and room temp it's about 74. How could my tank be that hot when the room is
colder? The heater is unplugged. I have 4 20 watt lights over it. Could the
fish adjust to that temp everyday? The temp would probably raise and lower
about 3 degrees.
Erik