Re: Tap Water Conditioners

Wayne S:

<<<<<......Is there any agreement upon which is the best (in terms of what
they
do/don't do rather than cost) tap water conditioner to use with planted
tanks ?  Many now claim to detoxify heavy metals - do they interfere with
plant fertilisers?  Also, does anyone feel that the 'slime coating' of aloe
vera or similar impacts upon plant or algae growth in any way?......>>>>>>

Me:

Assuming that they DO detox metals, I think it is safe to assume they will
convert iron to a form unuseable to plants.

Wayne S:

<<<<<<........I live in the UK & many of the products mentioned on the list
aren't
available over here, but I can get most of the Tetra, API and Kent ranges if
any of those are particularly suitable.  My water authority doesnt currently
add it, but I would prefer to use a product which neutralizes chloramine
just in case........>>>>>>>

Me:

For planted aquaria, its the chlorine component of chloramine that we
really need to worry about.  A REALLY high quality activated carbon
cartridge live the Ametek will strip the chlorine and much of the ammonia
that's along for the ride.

I'd contact the manufactureres Plymouth Products and ask if the have it
released in Europe or the U.K.  I'm sure they can give you a location for
purchase or a mail-order site.  I'm also confident other companies have
comparable products too.  Check out their high-end cartridges and those
with the highest chlorine removal rating.

Aquarium Plants and Hardware:
http://www.floridadriftwood.com