Crenicara Punctulatum in trouble

(Apologies to aquatic plant folks).

I've got a sick male C. Punct.  Symptoms are a dark color, pasty complexion
(slime coat looks thick), and a few small white patches that look like
abrasions.  The fish generally swims in one place in a backwards and forwards
motion, and makes twitching movements.  I have observed scratching on rocks and
gravel.  Appetite is poor, but he will eat when food lands in front of him.
This fish has been like this for a couple of weeks.  There is no swelling of any
body parts.  Respiration is slightly higher.

I have a female as well.  Her color is normal, and she exhibits no symptoms.

Kelly Beard
New!  But not really improved!
http://members.home.net/apistogramma