Tap Water Conditioners

Is there any agreement upon which is the best (in terms of what they
do/don't do rather than cost) tap water conditioner to use with planted
tanks ?  Many now claim to detoxify heavy metals - do they interfere with
plant fertilisers?  Also, does anyone feel that the 'slime coating' of aloe
vera or similar impacts upon plant or algae growth in any way?

I live in the UK & many of the products mentioned on the list aren't
available over here, but I can get most of the Tetra, API and Kent ranges if
any of those are particularly suitable.  My water authority doesnt currently
add it, but I would prefer to use a product which neutralizes chloramine
just in case.