In-Tank Sump

Hi All,

I'm designing a new setup and will install a glass divider at the end of a 5
foot long tank in order to convert it to a 4 foot long show tank with a 1
foot long sump at one end. I'm trying to determine how close to the top edge
the divider should come. I'm thinking that if it is 1/2 inch lower than the
plastic edge on the tank, then that should be enough to create an overflow
into the sump. But I don't know how much surge a given pump will create. I
will install a sumbersible pump at the bottom of the sump and pipe the
return to the far side of the tank so the water will be pushed toward the
sump. Are there any hydrolic engineers that can estimate this? TIA

Tom