Foreground plant suggestions?

Hi all I'm looking for an attractive, relatively easy foreground plant... any
suggestions?
In line with this, I'm looking for something to form a carpet or grass or something
similar; however, the substrate in the tank is plain gravel.  I am experimenting with
using pots that have appropriately rich substrates for individual plants.  What kind
of carpet can I form in plain gravel? Will Narrowleaf Chain (E. tennellus) work?  If
this plant (or something similar) needs a fertile substrate... any ideas how I can
apply the potted method that i'm using?

if you need more detail let me know
feel free to email me privately if you like.
Thanks
Al