Re: Do we need RO?

> Dwight, what about the fact that that filter won't actually remove all of
the
> chloramine?  It will remove some of the chlorine from the chloramine, and
it
> won't remove any of the ammonia in the chloramine.
>
> For anyone else who hasn't seen this discussion over on the usenet
> groups, I've got an article on my website that is based on discussions
> with an engineer over at Plymouth Products, makers of the Ametek filters.
>
> http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_chlorine.htm

Cool web site, Chuck.  I hadn't seen it in a while and forgot about it.

I just use a cheap chemical dechlorinator without any problems.  I'm not
sure if my water company uses chlorine or chloramine, but I figure I only
change 10 - 20% of the water at a time, and the plants will quickly eat any
ammonia that might be freed by the thiosulfate. Is this logic flawed
somehow?  My water has a pH of 7.6; probably somewhat lower in the tank
that gets CO2, but I haven't measured it in months.

Regards,
Bob