Re:Tropica

------------------------------

>Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 19:43:23 +0000 (GMT)
>From: Gerry Skau <gerry at ans_net>
>Subject: Re: Tropica
>
>I have never seen their plants, the highest quality plants I have ever
>seen came from Bob Gasser in the early 80s. He wrote a couple of articles
>for FAMA when it first came out and had a business of terrific plants with
>unbelievable variety. Don't know if anyone else ever dealt with him.
>
>       Gerry Skau
>       In Ann Arbor, where we are supposed to get rain to go with the 6+
>       inches we have gotten this month.

I got some Anubias bartori, v. nana from Gasser along with Aponogeton
rigidifolius back in the early 1980's.  They came in very good shape, and,
in fact, are still alive (not that their origins would play any role in
their longevity).  I wrote him a letter, trying to get up a conversation
about growing aquatic plants, but he replied that he didn't have time for
that sort of thing.  I wish there was someone like him now, from whom you
could order rare and hard-to-get species.  Reverting back to the Tropica
topic, I think that so many people in the United States would like to have
access to a Tropica outlet is that, from browsing the Tropica web site,
they become convinced that Tropica really knows the species they are
selling, and these species will be properly identified, and that the
information given about the growth requirements will be accurate.

Paul Krombholz, in cool, but dry central Mississippi.