Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #571

> Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 00:01:43 -0500
> From: Steven Rogers <srogers at ccsi_com>
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #570
>
> At 12:20 AM -0400 9/27/00, Shawn wrote:
> >CO2 as used in our hobby, is a gas, and if one speaks to any knowledgeable
> >engineer, ( comments posted notwithstanding) they will tell you, that a two
> >stage regulator is of no value for the use of CO2. The two stage regulation
> >helps to even out the flow of a gas, but in our hobby, the "Gas" is a liquid
> >as most of you are aware, so buying the more expensive 2 stage type
> >regulators is a waste of money.
>
> This is false. The bottle contains liquid CO2, but its the *gas*
> that comes out, not a liquid. Neither single nor two stage regulators
> will work with liquid passing through them.
>
> Steve
> - --
>
> Steve Rogers
> @Outcome, Austin TX -- ICQ: 46340238 -- AIM: StevRocket

Actually, it's impossible to run liquid co2 through a regulator.  As
soon as the liquid hits the first stage and the pressure begins to drop,
the liquid evaporates.

Now, this would be all well and good, but the amount of heat used to
evaporate the co2 immediately freezes the regulator.  I've seen this
happen way back when I worked in a welding/fab shop.

It seems that there are 2 kinds of co2 bottles.  The kind we use siphons
from the top and allows gas to be used.  The other kind is for use by
the gas suppliers.  They have a siphon tube extending to the bottom so
that liquid can be transferred from these bottles to the ones we use.

Bob Ashcraft
Pittsburgh, PA