Re: Tank Lifespans

In a message dated 9/26/2000 12:59:44 Pacific Daylight Time,

> One has the stainless frame and a slate bottom from what I could
>  tell. The other two are just old glass tanks. The sealant isn't
>  peeling or show signs of mistreatment. It is discolored, kinda
>  yellowish, brown. They haven't been used in 10+ years, just sitting
>  in a closet serving as storage boxes. They have no brand name
>  markings or anything that could point to manufacturing dates.

From your description, I can't tell you the manufacturer or the date of
manufacture, but I can tell you it's an older tank.  40, 50 years ago, tanks
were commonly made with metal "angle iron" frames, and slate bottoms.  The
glass won't deteriorate with age, and neither will the slate.  However, back
then, we didn't have silicone sealants for tank construction.  Instead, we
used waterproof putties of various formulations.  Most of those putties are
deteriorated today, and most would leak.  However, since the basic foundation
of the tank is as good today as the day it was made, you might consider
disassembling the tank, scraping out the old putty, clean the glass edges
with Isopropyl Alcohol, and then re-seal the assembly with modern silicone
aquarium cement.  Allow it to dry for several days, then fill it with water.
The aquarium should be better than new, and should give decades of reliable
service.