Re: Hybrids (was E. cordifolius)

    I think that telling some one not to hybridize or try their hand at
growing new plants is like saying, "You don't need to think about it, leave
it all up to Big Brother... we will take care of everything." It's like
telling some one with Discus that they shouldn't try breeding their fish
because that's only suitable for breeder to do! What, should we always just
listen to commercial ventures, and not experiment? No, we should try new
things, new plants, new breeds. This is not to say that Commercial breeders
don't know what they are talking about. Without them we could not exist, but
we should not leave everything up to them either, we should expand and try
new things that may not be commercially viable for them. Like all specific
hobbies like this, without hobbyist experimentation, we would still have
Heckel Discus, and be buying all sorts of expensive equipment because
commercial vendors said "This is the way" and we all followed like sheep. No,
we did not, and really should get into sexually reproducing plants! That's
why nature made flowering plants! If Nature had not wanted us to hybridize
them, they would all reproduce vegitatively!
    I think our hobby is behind in the hybridizing area. I grow Orchids as
well, and many people like to 'protect their natural forms' but I think that
this view of a 'natural species' is unjustified. What is a man made hybrid
different than any "natural species"? Do we believe that we are so far
departed from nature that we are not part of nature? No, I believe that it is
part of evolution for man to take an active roll in the development and
preservation of certain genetic characteristics, and to enhance them.
    I love to see natural plants and animals out in nature, but when we look
at other hobbies, and ours, we always seem to be two steps behind other
hobbies (cat, dog, bird?, reptiles?). By simply growing these plants and not
trying to breed them, we are no better than the people who just keep and kill
plants. Every other living hobby aims to breed and reproduce, possibly
enhance through selective breeding their favorite strains. I think that it is
presumptuous of ourselves to believe that we can do any lasting damage to
nature.
    Trying to preserve "natural species" is a hypocritical view, because that
is saying that Mankind is outside of nature, and is not under Nature's rule.
Yes it is possible to significantly injure the world we live in, however that
will never happen, since eventually we will have to bow down to mother
Nature. I believe that we should enjoy our plants to the fullest, and learn
how to get them to reproduce, possibly hybridizing.
    My favorite Orchid is a hybrid of a number of different generas, but it
is the best smelling, most profuse, and prettiest plant I own. This plant has
brought more joy to people from it's existance, than it would have, had it
not been created "artificially". Odontocidium "Sharry Baby" if anyone is
interested.

    Fishboy: "Flame shield ON!"
    Bill Gould
    "My Job is to comfort the Disturbed, and to disturb the Comfortable"