Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #568

> Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:48:02 EDT
> From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Closed top planted tanks
>
> [Bob details his luck, so far, with "fairly tightly sealed" tanks]

Good for you - I just hope you don't pull a gomberg some day.

> Think about it.  We seal our houses up tight in the winter, and yet I haven't
> ever heard of an oxygen shortage causing anyone trouble, except when furnaces
> or water heaters foul up.

Two points:

1) Older houses aren't all that well sealed.

B) New houses and buildings that have better sealing are being blamed for "sick
building syndrome".

The original poster was asking how to tightly seal a tank to reduce CO2 loss.
Since the typical practice here is "more is better", I want to dissuade that
person and others from going overboard. IMHO, trying to seal a tank is still a
bad idea. YMMV. Do what you want; it's your tank.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/