Subject: air in cannister filter

I have to blow air through the outtake (smaller) hose on my Fluval to clear
out air bubbles in the canister after I refill it following cleaning. Or suck
air, if the blowing doesn't work. Not the most pleasant of passtimes, but it
eventually works and gets rid of that disturbing rattle. Actually, if I'd
known a canister filter was going to be this much trouble and the lines would
get this much algae, I would never have bought one. (I bought it to get rid
of surface agitation so my DIY CO2 would work better.)
Carla