Re: E. cordifolius

Dwight,

I am surprised that anyone would discourage hybridization of aquatic
plants, since some of the popular Echinodorus that we drool over are either
hybrids or mutants (e.g. E. oriental, E. rubin, E. sp "rose", E. ozelot
"red flame", E. osiris, etc).

>From: Dwight <boukmn at mindspring_com>
>From my perspective, Hybridization is something you want to prevent unless
>you think the traites you are going to get from the hybridized plant will
>be complementary.  Case in point; when the green wild-type E. cordifolius
>is grown with the hybrid Marble Queen a plantlet is produced that for me is
>not commercially viable.  It is more difficult to grow than the wild type
>and has only a fraction of the mottled verigation of the Marble queen. I
>take certain precautions to prevent inadvertent hybridization.

I don't really understand this part. Do you mean to say that you actually
got seeds from crossing wild type E. cordifolius and marble queen? Or do
you mean that you grow the two plants side-by-side and the plantlet that is
produced is not as robust as the original?

>I would tend to discourage amature hybridization though, b/c it tends to
>produce swords of low esthetic value that enter the hobbie chain through
>trades.  Like the "trash" guppies that show up in our LFS for $1.99.  Large
>commercial operations have already eliminated the "trash" byproducts of
>their hybridization attempts.

How do you distinguish between "amateur hybridization" and "professional
hybridization"? Besides, how difficult can it be? And, I personally haven't
seen any "trash" byproducts of the plant hybridization attempts. Have you?

I can't believe that not a single one in this list has attempted to
hybridize an Echinodorus. Tell me this is not true. How about Aponogeton?

ck
Singapore