Re: Material Suitability

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:01:09 -0500  "James Purchase" <jpurch at interlog_com> in
APD #555 wrote:

>On the Air Products web site there is a FAQ covering materials of
>construction which can be used for different gases. Plugging Carbon Dioxide
>into this, I see that both Buna-N and Neoprene are listed as possibly
>"iffy". Specifically, they say that "suitability depends on condition of
>use."

I'd also be very curious about this.  Not such a concern for my regulator choice
(stainless diaphragms) as much as an issue with metering valves.

When I went to price the Parker valves, the sales person there did ask what
material I wanted the seal to be made from.  I didn't know.  That was the only
thing I was uncertain about.  I told them it would be for continuous CO2 usage
and no other gases or fluids would ever be used with it.  She said Buna-N would
be fine.

I think that in Air Products' case, it is probably best left up to them to
provide an answer defining their statement.

Incidentally, I now have two Parker CD-ROMS covering their entire
instrumentation line.  I should install them to take a look at the info they
provide.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had more details in regards to the
individual seal materials and their uses.

Bruno