Re: Carbonate Hardness

Hello Roger,

It seems that we are talking here a bit past each other, probably
because the term "Carbonate Hardness" is often misapplied to mean
"Alkalinity".

If one wants to measure ALKALINITY, then titration is both an easy and
accurate method. Of course it does not tell one where the alkalinity is
coming from, but that is another story.

In nature, alkalinity _might_ be equal to carbonate hardness, but there
is no guarantee. If baking soda is added to the water, as many aquarists
do, then the two values DEFINITELY will NOT be equal! So that is the
best reason why one should not use the term "Carbonate Hardness" for
"Alkalinity". It is simply wrong.

CARBONATE HARDNESS is just that -- that component of dissolved calcium
and magnesium in water that, as you say it, is counterbalanced by
bicarbonate ion. It is a _component_ of alkalinity. It is also called,
properly, "Temporary Hardness", because it can be removed by boiling.

If, as you say, the EPA talks about "non-carbonate hardness", then, by
implication, there IS a "carbonate hardness" (perhaps of no interest to
them), and, I am certain, that they do not mean "Alkalinity" by it!

The example you cite with your water is right: Your water has 1 "degree"
of Carbonate Hardness and 7 "degrees" of Alkalinity. Nothing more,
nothing less. I place "degree" in quotes, because *a priori* one would
not know WHICH "degree" you have in mind -- American, English, French,
German, or ... As you know, the EPA uses milligrams-per-liter (or ppm)
as units for Water Hardness. Wouldn't it be a good idea for aquarists
also to use it, exclusively?

Unless I misunderstood your other example, the boiling method CAN be
used on waters without any Permanent Hardness: The second value
(Permanent Hardness) just will be "zero". Subtracted from Total Hardness
it will give you the correct answer -- all water hardness is due to
Temporary or Carbonate Hardness.

What I had in mind, mentioning "other alkalies" in the water in the SW
US, was borates and silicates. Perhaps my geographical designation was
not accurate enough.

Best,

George