re :Tropica exporting to USA

Hi Robert et al.
After the previous 3 weeks I want to preface my responses by saying there is
no personal criticism of yourself or indeed anybody else intended :-).

>I  understand this is the major hurdle, but I do not understand why it is
>such a problem for Tropica...Thousands of plants are imported weekly into
>this country from the orient, Oriental Aquarium being one of the largest. I
>would think that it would save money for Tropica in the long run to ship
>them bare root..lower cost in materials and lower shipping cost. I have
seen
>Diskys pictures of Tropica, and their facilities look pretty large, couldnt
>they convert one or two of their green houses to grow plants in those big
>waterbeds without rockwool?

Why should they?? If (god willing) your sideline took off and you became as
large as Tropica would you export to Britain if we had different rules to
the U.S. ?
No rudeness intended but it does smack a little bit of arrogance to suggest
that they should change the way they do things just because the USDA says
so. They have done their research and from what has previously been posted
decided that it is unrealistic to export to the U.S.
I do sympathise with you guys. Too many non-native species have been
introduced into your waterways and as is usual the true hobbyist suffers
through legislation.

>What I am curious about is by what standards is
>the "quality" of Tropica that much better? Someone mentioned because they
>are grown from original tissue culture: does this make the plants more
>resiliant? Are they stronger, healthier than asian plants? I doubt if its
>size or root structure, as this can vary greatly from any grower. How much
>of the Tropica quality mystique is based in truth and how much in image? I
>am not trying to be negative, but only to understand it all better.

Well I cannot comment on Asian plants because I have never seen them.
Tropica produce the best plants I have seen in Europe. Unfortunately we do
have to pay through the nose for the quality in the UK (but what's new
there). In some LFS I have seen Anubias Nana retailing at £9.
I do think there is a little mythology involved at the same time though. It
is that classic case of wanting want you can't have.
I have seen your tanks and can honestly say that I don't think you or
anybody else in the U.S. is losing out by not having Tropica plants.

rgds
Glen

whose paternity is always under question, has never dared to ask his mother
whether she was married when I arrived and who has a definite affinity for
small woodland creatures. :-)