Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #551

At 03:48 PM 9/18/00 -0400, George Booth discussing KH  wrote:
>  If carbonates are the main form of alkalinity, this will produce useful
> results. If
>other forms of alkalinity are also present (such as phosphates), the results
>will be garbage.

George, try to follow me on this and tell me if I am way off base.   If
there is 100ppm HCO3- and its relatives, how could .1-1ppm of HPO4 and its
relatives screw up the measurement MUCH?????  1ppm of HPO4 is only about
2/3 the molarity of the same weight of HCO3, so I would think the
interference (which is surely present) would be quite small.   Same for
tannic acids with huge molecular weights.  Where am I missing it?????

--
NEW Planted Aquaria Magazine:        http://www.wcf.com/pam