Re: CO2 Comments

I have faced BGA before. As someone else pointed out, it is
Cyanobacteria and usually appears when there is an excess of
phosphates in your system. In my experience, increasing the feeding
has tipped the scale in the favor of plants. If this is an issue, one
can use an RO unit to remove most of the phosphates completely.

There is only one point that I am willing to concede in this debate:
Circulating water allows nutrients to reach areas that used to be
nutrient deficient. This however, helps plants too!

I believe that if you have developed an tank that is in equilibrium
(i.e. proper balance of nutrients, light, filtration, little algae
growth etc...)  aerating or circulating water will not do any harm.
In fact I believe it will benefit plants, fish and the certainly the
process of nitrification. Furthermore, if your plants are healthy and
the tank is in equilibrium, algae outbreaks will be kept to a minimum.

Furthermore, so what if aerating the water drives of CO2. Just run
the injection rate higher. It's not like CO2 costs a lot of money and
we have to constantly replace the CO2 cylinders. (Ok, I know for DIY
Yeast this may be more of an issue.) My own experience shows that
when I have a tank in equilibrium, it only improves with additional
circulation. Fish are happier, many fish like to swim in the currents
and debris can be removed from the system instead of settling on the
substrate.

Dwight:

<<In the case of the dreaded BGA; aeration DOES seem to enhance its growth. I
do not even need to cite the REAL research conducted by the Aquarium
Landscapes' Techies ...I've seen it myself!  As for OTHER algaes, it is my
BELIEF that aeration just drives off the Co2 and thus, removes a key
advantage of higher plants which in turn, enhances the algae's competitive
advantage vs. the plants.>>