re: Nitrex

Johnpitselos2000 asks << Has anyone used a product called Nitrex, w/wo a
Nitrex Box?  Will it's  claimed anaerobic activity effect plants greatly? >>

I don't think you want a filter converting nitrate to nitrogen gas in a
planted tanks. Right now we have a large fish load, so our nitrate very
slowly increases until our water change. And many folks regularly *add*
nitrate to their tanks, since their plants can't get all the Nitrogen they
can use from the available nitrogenous waste. As their ads say, Nitrex and
the Nitrex box might be well-suited for nitrate-sensitive invertebrates. In
any case, the few posts I've read about such systems on some of the boards
didn't give them glowing reviews.

Jared
Jared Weinberger                    jweinberger at knology_net
______    http://www.knology.net/~jweinberger/     ________