Re: CO2 Comments

Your example is not fair because you mention the high concentration
of nitrates and phosphates. Both of these are components that benefit
algae more so than plants. Someone posted a study about algae earlier
on this message board. The conclusion was that phosphate is usually
the limiting agent in the growth of algae. In other words,
agricultural phosphate run off will cause it not to be the limiting
agent and thus algae will be encouraged to grow.

The issue here is not whether or not algae can survive or even grow
in aerated, moving water but whether it accelerates the growth of
algae in comparison to the growth of plants. In conclusion, in a well
maintained aquarium that does not have a excess of nutrients, plants
will continue to prosper and algae will not overtake plants in
regions of the tank that have surface aeration/rapid water movement.
I still maintain my case. (In my opinion)

Julius
Menlo Park, CA
http://www.market-diligence.com