CO2 in fast flowing streams

To start off, I would like to say that I am not an expert on Algae or
biology. I do believe that to answer this question correctly, we need
to look at it from a scientific framework. When I made my comment
earlier, I did not present this in such a framework so I did not eat
my own medicine.

My theory is that fast water does not directly cause algae to grow
faster all else constant. I am not surprised by your observation that
there was algae growing in the Rocky mountain streams because Algae
is a very resilient form of life and can probably tolerate a wider
variety of conditions than most plant life. We see evidence of this
phenomenon in that Algae will grow in our tanks even when the
conditions are not acceptable for our plants to grow.

Furthermore, one must take into account the photo period and the
nutrient levels of the water and any other factors present. Again, I
don't know if my analysis is correct. In fact I know I have left out
many issues, but I believe all else constant, rapid water movement
does not help Algae out compete aquatic plants.

I'm looking to hear other people's perspective on the matter though!

Julius Odian
Menlo Park, CA
http://www.market-diligence.com