CO2 Comments

I was just looking over the CO2 thread and am ignoring any arguments
taking place. I just wanted to comment on some points I've heard that
might lead people to have the wrong idea.

1) Someone mentioned that the CO2 dropped the PH to a level that made
their fish happy. This is not a safe practice. If you have a power
outage and your solenoid valve shuts off, the PH can rapidly jump
putting stress on the fish. It's a bad idea to regulate PH with CO2.
If you need to lower your PH, use RO water and then use a buffer to
maintain a certain level.

2) I went to the Florida Driftwood Page for which someone provided
the link on this list. They advertise an anaerobic filter. I am not
going to discuss the merits of this filter, but 2 statements on the
page are either confusing or incorrect.

Adding O2 does not displace CO2. Having surface agitation can allow
the CO2 to dissipate, but you can always increase the CO2 injection
rate to maintain a desirable level.

In addition, aerating water does not make algae grow faster. Just
take a simple look at nature. Do you ever see algae growing in a fast
flowing river? No! It grows in stagnant water and ponds that are
deficient in O2.

Julius Odian
Menlo Park, CA
http://www.market-diligence.com