Re: Wine yeast

Sylvia (Biplane10 at aol_com) wrote:
> Subject: wine yeast
> Now here's a baffler. There must have been 10 different types of wine yeast.
> I mentioned alcohol tolerance as a plus, and the store owner recommended
> *Montrachet* as a good yeast to try.
> I used a 5 gram pouch to a 2 litter bottle of water, about 1 cup of
> sugar to start.

Sylvia, I used Montrachet yeast for a year or so and it worked well
for me. I think your problem is in your make-up. The packet of
yeast is enough to make 5 gallons of wine, so you're using way too
much for a gentle CO2 flow. I used 2 L water, 1/4 tsp. yeast, 2
cups sugar, and a pinch of baking soda. The yeast need to be
hydrated in 95F (lukewarm) water for 10-15 minutes before adding
to the sugar mix. Stir the yeast and add. It usually took a day and
a half or so before it started perculating. The mixture described
would last upwards of a month with a gradual decline in CO2
production. To combat this, I had two bottles running at the same
time, on a two week stagger. This way one bottle was full strength
while the other was getting started. It's fun for a while, but you'll be
hunting a tank before long ;-).
BTW, I wouldn't disturb the bottle once everything gets going. If you
open the top and expose it to O2, it seems things go down hill fast.
Keep everything sealed up until you're ready to change bottles.
Keep the opened yeast packet in a ziplock bag in the frig.

Jamie    <"\\\><
Greenwood, SC