Re: wine yeast

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Sylvia wrote:

> I'm wondering if the activity of the yeast will be similar to the baking
> yeast, in that it will reach maximum within hours after mixing up, and
> maintain or subside a bit (hopefully not as much as the baking yeast!). At
> what point does it reach maximum activity?

In my experience wine yeast worked very much like baking yeast.  The
difference was certainly not worth the effort it took to drive a few extra
miles every few months to get it.

> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm so tired of coddling these yeast
> bottles, they actually take greater maintenance/time than my aquariums if you
> can believe it.

Often when people report problems with maintaining activity in their yeast
batch the problem can be traced to a leak in their system.

Roger Miller