re: positioning driftwood

There is aquarium wood available that doesn't need a slate base. I believe
Dwight from this list sells the sinking type. I use a type called Wellaby
Wood (brand name I think). Something just like it (maybe the same thing) is
generically called African Rootwood. It is all I use. Very interesting
shapes, great color. Sinks like a stone. Really heavy. No slate needed. Can
be a bit expensive, depending on the size. PetSmart and LFSs sell this in my
area.
Dave