What's a good algae eater for a small tank with guppies?

10 gallon tank, recently overhauled and being overrun with algae.  The
real plants are starting to grow rapidly, so hopefully they will soon
starve out the algae.  I really should have some kind of scavanger
and/or algae eater, but I want to make sure it won't outgrow this
small tank, won't eat baby guppies, and won't damage the plants too
much. I had a common pleco once that would scrape holes in the leaves
of my sword plants.  (Yes, he had a piece of wood to chew on.)

The LFS's around here don't have a very good variety of fish, and
really no invertebrates.  What do you suggest?  Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob