Re: CO2 regulation

David Bundy wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2000 17:25:29 -0700, Wright Huntley <huntley1 at home_com> wrote:
>
> > The expense of buying multi-stage regulators simply is ridiculous under
> > those conditions. Who needs them? They do nothing particularly useful for
> > most aquarists who have to feed the fish and plants a few times during the
> > month (and can see the gauge).
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > PS. I think a good needle valve (and higher regulated pressure) in front of
> > the Eheim system could be a useful thing to do.
>
> Wright, I want make to sure that I understand your comments here.
>
> Could you (and anyone else who's interested) please comment on which of
> the following 2 setups is better for someone with a sintered glass diffuser?
> (Let's assume the owner travels a lot, is forgetful and that the CO2 setup
> will go unmonitored for long periods of time.)
>
> Setup #1:  a single stage regulator with a high quality needle valve *OR*
>
> Setup #2:  a dual stage regulator with no needle valve

Not a terribly good idea, as flow will depend on tank depth and evaporation
of water could increase flow rate. We want to ultimately regulate gas *flow*
rate, not just the pressure.

> Do both setups #1 and #2 perform equally well for day-to-day operation,
> but #2 is just needlessly expensive?

No, as #2 still needs a flow limiter.

> Do both #1 and #2 perform equally well under end-of-tank conditions?

ditto.

> Does #2 need a needle valve?

Yes. Somewhere along the line, one needs a flow control, and pressure
regulation alone is not the whole answer. A suitably-designed needle valve
could, theoretically, work right off the tank pressure, but very few are
able to withstand 900 psi. A clogged emitter, downstream could cause
spectacular results, too, as the line pressure climbs. The regulator gets
the pressure down to a very level safe for almost any valve and hose. Then
all we need is a restrictor capable of fine adjustment at incredibly tiny
flow rates. [That need usually eliminates cheaper aquarium valves.]

The problem with the Eheim diffuser was that it works so *very* well until
near end of bottle. That has resulted in lots of scrambling to provide
overpressure-relief and all kinds of other arcane "cures." If you want a
uniform amount of gas delivered each day, there is no substitute for a
regulated flow amount.

One unfortunate consequence of the use of a tiny aperture to restrict flow
is the great ease of having it clog and stop flowing. The pressure then
rises to whatever the *pressure* regulator allows. At 20-50 psi that can
cause a hiss when the tubing pops, but won't cause an explosion. I urge that
all avoid the use of teflon tape on any gas fitting that is to be used in
front of a needle valve. Teflon can shred and provide that blockage. Regular
pipe compound or even silicone is much safer. If it is already there when I
get it (as on the rubbish beer regulators I bought ;-) ) I leave it alone
rather than disturb it. I do blow the line out to clear any shreds before
assembly, tho.

Wright

--

"People constantly speak of 'the government' doing this or that, as they
might speak of God doing it. But the government is really nothing but a

               *** http://www.self-gov.org/index.html ***